Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Puppet Marriage

Oh Bert and Ernie. Who doesn’t love these 2 guys? Everyone thinks they’re gay, but no one has ever gone as far to ask that they be shown as truly gay...until now. The public has asked that the 2 wed on Sesame Street. There was even a petition going around to show support for their marriage and it received 7,000 signatures thus far. I think it would be cool to have these 2 puppets marry on TV, but at the same time is a 3 year old learning their ABC’s going to know what that means? I understand how everyone wants to get little kids to understand tolerance at an early age, but usually kids 5 and under watch Sesame Street so I almost feel like it would be wasted. I don’t know. I mean will Bert and Ernie getting married really change little Johnny’s view on life?

Of course, PBS said no to this and told the public that these 2 characters were created to show kids what friendship means. I think I might have to side with PBS on this one. Does that make me a bad person?

No comments:

Post a Comment