Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Window to the World

I was reading the LA Times the other day and came across this article entitled “Window to the World.” I thought it was kind of odd because it was in the technology section so naturally I clicked on it and I was very intrigued with what I found. Toyota is trying to design an interactive window on their cars for their passengers. They describe it as being similar to an Etch-a-Sketch where the passenger can draw on the window with their fingers. They can even zoom in on something they see outside. Not sure how that works while the car is in motion, but still kind of a cool concept. I remember a long trip I took with my dad while I was in high school and it would have been really cool to have something like this. I saw cow farms and regular farms all over the place and it would have been cool to zoom in on something or draw something on the window. Any road trip could utilize this window.

Car companies are also beginning to create interactive window stickers as well where you can view the price of a car and then interact with the sticker to show you the inside of the car. You can even build your own car. So basically, it’s a car building kiosk type thing. I feel like all this information is on the car website and brochures, but to each his own I guess. I feel like technology gets ahead of itself sometimes. I understand what the car companies are trying to do, but I feel like it’s fun to go home with a brochure. I would much rather gawk at the brochure while sitting on my couch, than have to go to the dealership and play with a kiosk where I can just sit in the car instead. Seems a little silly to me. I’m not a fan of eliminating the man and I feel like this kiosk would do that. I’m all for the window interacting though.

Either way, check out the videos below.

Window to the World


Interactive Window Sticker

No comments:

Post a Comment